Monday 30 April 2007

Virginia Tech tragedy

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" by Edmund Burke

Today, many Bloggers will be silent to remember the lives lost on that fateful day, April 16th. With all due respect, and from my own personal perspective, I feel that being silent is a nice gesture but I don't feel it will achieve anything via the Blogosphere. I would prefer to show my respect by talking about my feelings and offering my heartfelt prayers.

I honestly believe that this tragedy could have been avoided as the signs were there but not deemed severe enough to be acted upon by those in authority. I was dumbfounded by this after reading just a few things the perpetrator had done prior to that day. I don't want to play the blame game here but I do pray that there will be some valuable lessons learned from this tragedy so that this sort of thing won't happen again.

I was reading another Blogger's post and she was talking about stumbling across the My Space site of one of the Virginia Tech victims. I followed the link she provided and, I too, was deeply affected to see a beautiful, young girl's family and friends pleading with her to post or phone to let them know she was okay....then their later comments of heartbreak and prayers after they had obviously found out the devastating news of her death. I cried. I empathised with what they must have been going through and are still going through.

I pray that many lives will be touched by this tragedy in a positive way. May the victim's tragic deaths not have been in vain. May it put into perspective just how precious life really is. May we see that precious time with loved ones, family and friends far outweigh the material things. Let us live our lives to the fullest, in goodness and love. Take time to smell the flowers and appreciate the little things. Be an Angel and practise random acts of kindness. Make life matter......

Love, Light and Peace ~

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this. Your writing is more eloquent that what I wrote, because I broke a cardinal rule and wrote when it was still fresh and I was angry. I hope the families can find a way to grieve and the move on and find some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited your blog and read your post and I felt what you wrote came from your heart so it can't have been wrong. I too felt a lot of those things. I can't begin to imagine what the families must be going through. I pray they are able to grieve, find some peace and closure.

    ReplyDelete