Saturday 24 October 2009

My book traits

I snagged this Meme over on Jennifer's blog and, being a bookaholic, I couldn't resist. Feel free to snag it yourself if you're interested.


Do you snack while you read? For the most part no but I will occasionally snack on lollies (candy).

Do you tend to mark your books as you read them, or does the idea of writing on your books horrify you? I never used to but, in recent years, I have found it helpful to highlight passages from a book that 'speak' to me. Of course, I usually only do this with non-fiction books.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog ears? Leaving the book open flat? Usually a bookmark but, if I don't have a bookmark readily available, I will use scrap paper, gift cards, business cards.....most anything as I'm definitely not one for dog-earing a book.


Fiction, Non-Fiction or both? I like both. I adore non-fiction books on metaphysics, esoteric, self-help, quantum theory, history, in particular Native American history. I also like fiction along the lines of supernatural and horror so it would be no surprise that Dean Koontz is one of my favourite authors. I also like Barbara Erskine for her historical/supernatural themed books. In recent years, Dan Brown is another author whose books I enjoy reading. I find fantasy books, such as Lord of the Rings, difficult to get into though I loved the movie series.

my bedside table/shelf


Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point? I definitely prefer to read to the end of chapters.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
No. I generally get the meaning of the word from the context of the words around it.


What are you currently reading? I recently finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. In progress are - The Artist's Way (again), A New Earth (again), The Astonishing Power of Emotions and The Legend of Edgar Sawtelle.

What is the last book you bought? The Artist's Guide to Perspective by Janet Shearer.

Are you the type of person who can only read one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time? I usually have at least three books on the go.

Do you prefer series or stand alone books? I don't mind either though I probably lean more towards stand alone books.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over? Not really. I find that people have different tastes when it comes to books though I may mention a book I've enjoyed to someone. It's no secret that I'm a Dean Koontz fan.

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
It depends.....I guess if I have numerous fiction books by one author, I will keep them together. For non-fiction, I tend to organise them by subject.


----------------------------------------


Love, light and peace

9 comments:

  1. i use to read dean koontz all the time when i was younger. had to bring in a note from mom to say i could read koontz and king books in grades 5 and 6 :p thought that was stupid.

    nice to know my shelves are not the only ones that hold things other then books :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun! I dog ear my books...I never seem to have bookmarks or paper handy to mark a page. I could not imagine snacking while reading...not sure why...but eating and reading does not seem to work with me. Maybe I should read more!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mum,

    I have to say I really enjoyed reading this post! I can relate to you with a few of the things! I hate dog earing books, I use anything to avoid that and I like to read until the end of a chapter as well if I can!

    Love Brad!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - this is definatly fun, & worth 'snagging' lol
    I agree with you on many things, I also tend to grab a scrap of paper, a tag from a piece of clothing, a piece of cloth - & grumped at my 9 yr old granddaughter when she began to dog ear a page in a LIBRARY book!
    Just fin. a new author - chinese - the book is "eye of Jade' - she spent time in a labor camp as a child during the cultural revolution - & is a mystery - yummy images, poignant story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A woman after my own heart -- I never eat/snack while I read and I can't stand to deface a book (non-fiction, self-help or informative book yes). A true book lover indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such fun to read! I might have to try this one myself--and include pictures of my many bookcases--hehe! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun meme! I saw a lot of the same books on your shelves as I see on my own with the exception of Dean Koontz. I might have to do this meme on my blog as I haven't done one in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow I missed this post way back when. I noticed that we have a lot of the same metaphysical books in our "libraries"...

    ReplyDelete