Friday 25 June 2010

In need of help from a gardening expert....

Any clue on what plant this is??

It is growing in a pot at my parent's place and Mum feels it could have sprung from a vegetable seed she's thrown in there but she can't remember what.  Any ideas?

It's quite a striking plant but we have no clue what it actually is.

An identification would be much appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE - PLANT IDENTIFIED

YAY!!!! After doing some more searching on Google this morning, I found out what the plant is -


It originates in Guatemala and is a member of the Euphorbiaceae family.

Other common names - Gout plant, Gout stick, Guatemala Rhubarb, Australian Bottle Plant

NOTE - As is with most Euphorbia, every part of this plant is poisonous including seed pods.

I can't wait to tell Mum!

~ Love, light and peace ~

8 comments:

  1. No clue, but it has the most interesting looking blossoms and such huge leaves?? I'll be curious to see if anyone knows what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never grown any veggies that started off like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure don't recognize the flowery part...but, the leaves look look like nasturtium leaves.... maybe it is a type that grows there ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, definitely not a nasturtium, Vee. There appears to be more than one of them sprouting from something. It's quite an unusual looking plant and it's had to have sprouted from some sort of seed Mum has thrown in there but we're clueless as to what at this stage. It's frustrating not knowing. lol

    Sandi....I don't know of any veggies that grow like that either but then, I'm not a veggie gardener.

    Yep, the leaves are quite large, Rita. It's got us stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what it is, but it is a beautiful flower. Looks kind of like a member of the succulent family. Good luck in finding out what it is. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh serena....that is so cool...glad you identified it already cause I sure wouldn't be able to help you in that department...as I have never seen this leaf!

    but in the first photo the top leaf looks a lot like a fig tree.....well, whatever it's obviously not! lol

    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love google :D Those are some pretty plants you've got there! You probably have tons of vegetation I've never seen over there in your outback!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you found your ID. That bottom leaf in photo looks more round, but then I saw the top leaf and it is classic Buddha Belly leaf...and flowers. It has the big caudex at bottom...one of my fav succulents!!!

    ReplyDelete